Top 5 fish for beginners (10+ gallon aquarium)

Hi everyone! This is a post about the top 5 hardy fish to get if you have a 10 gallon aquarium. I write from experience, and I hope that I don’t mislead you. So, here it goes:

1) Cory Catfish- These little guys are really cute bottom-dwellers who feed on algae and fish flakes. Really friendly with any other aquarium fish and really easy to care for. 

Here is a picture of the panda variety. Other popular species include albino and peppered cory catfish.

2) Tetras- Another awesome bunch of fish. They are much more colourful then cories. Quite easy to take care of, except when they have fry, which is quite frequently! They are sensitive and the some need larger tanks than others. *Don’t be fooled by the unusual appearence of the rummy-nose tetra, which is extremely difficult to care for*

Here you can see some cardinal tetras. Other species include bleeding-heart and neon tetras.

3) Female bettas- These beautiful ladies are really compatible with other fish. They drift quite elegantly through the water and are recommended for 5 gallon tanks. Be sure to get females, though, the males are more pretty, but also REALLY agressive.

Take a look at some female bettas. They come in an assortment of different colours.

4)Platies- Another colourful variety of fish, like the tetras. Attractive, but things can get pretty intense between two males when there is not enough females. They also breed very easily.

Here are some platies eating. This variety is called Marble platies. Other species include blue and sunset platies.

5) Guppies- Another easy-to-breed type of fish. They are also very popular and as colourful as platies and tetras. Babies do need to be fed   4-5 times a week and their tank needs to be cleaned 3 times a week.

Check out some guppy fish.

2 thoughts on “Top 5 fish for beginners (10+ gallon aquarium)

1. Hi Ridhi I really like your blog about fishes it was really interesting to read and the pictures of the fish where really cool my favorite one was the red one he was flashy good gob I never thought I would learn that much about fishes really good .